Thursday, June 5, 2014

MY INTERVIEW WITH JOHN REINHARD DIZON

I am proud to be interviewing John Reinhard Dizon, a friend and fellow author, who is always ready to have fun and joke around.

John Reinhard Dizon

Image of John Reinhard Dizon







1.   Tell me a little about yourself.

John Reinhard Dizon was born and raised in the Cobble Hill section of Brooklyn, NY. He participated in local and high school sports at Bishop Loughlin MHS, excelling in wrestling, hockey and football. The lead vocalist of the Spoiler and the Ducky Boys, he was a key figure on the Brooklyn rock scene during the Punk Revolution of the 70's. Relocating to San Antonio TX in the 80's, he moonlighted as a pro wrestler while working as a legal assistant. He successfully pursued a BA at UTSA and degrees in Korean martial arts during the 90's. He currently lives in KC MO where he is studying for his MA in English at UMKC. Mr. Dizon has been writing suspense and thriller works for over twenty-five years.


2.    What books have you written? What genre are they in?

I’ve got over twenty novels out right now. I specialize in historical fiction, suspense/thrillers and women’s fiction. My most noteworthy are Tiara and Nightcrawler. My newest one is Standard II – The Citadel  , and soon to be released is Nightcrawler II – Tryzub .


3.    Why did you become an author? What led you down this career path?
I was writing dialogue for my stick-figure cartoons when I first got out of diapers. I got serious after high school but that was before the Internet, so there was no real way to market my work. After living my dreams as an underground rock star, a pro wrestler, a mixed martial artist and a hockey goon, this looks like Turk’s Last Stand.

4.    Was it difficult to write your first book? Or did it come naturally to you?
I wrote my first novella, a train wreck called Enemy Ace, in sixth grade. It was a James Bond knockoff but the major protagonist, Fritz Hammer, appears in a couple of my MI6 novels. Who’d have thought?

5.    What are some of your dreams and goals?
At this age? I’d love to get into one more sizzling romance, make that long-awaited album, and have one last wrestling match. Getting a contract with a major publisher wouldn’t break my heart either.


6.    What do you enjoy to do in your free time?
Get drunk. Sometimes I’ll go carousing with my keyboard player. The rest of the time I’m writing highly controversial manuscripts.


7.   Who inspired you to become a writer?
I had the entire Ian Fleming collection in grade school. I collected Robert E. Howard’s Conan the Barbarian series in my twenties. They had the most profound influence on my early years.

8.   Who are some of your favorite authors?

Right now, as a postmodernist writer, it’s Franz Kafka. I spend most of my time reviewing indie novels these days. The lovely Susanne Leist is one of my faves, along with Elle Klass, John Tucker and a few others. I’m hoping an Indie Revolution is going to revitalize the stagnant literary industry worldwide.


9.    What is store for your readers next?
Well, if I’m still above ground next year, I’m thinking of doing sequels to all the novels I’ve got out there. That is going to keep me pretty busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment