Sunday, October 28, 2018

The Battle for Oasis



Let the darkness lull me to sleep
with dreams of red sunsets.
Clouds drifting on cotton balls,
encircling me with their softness.

Let the moon’s face shine on me,

making me feel safe and secure.      
The stars twinkle in merriment,
ready to tackle the night.

The day brings a new enemy

to our peaceful shore.
A dark kingdom will rise,
a new kingdom for The Dead.

All memory of our town will be wiped clean

with a mere swipe of their hands.
Rain and hail will flood the streets.
Fire will engulf the church.
A hooded figure approaches,
his gait slow and sure.
He pulls back his hood
to reveal the creature beneath.
“My dear Linda, you have waited for me. 
I will have my ice queen at my side.” 
Wolf quickens his stride,
but I turn my face from him.

I peek through lowered eyelashes

at his beautiful face.
He turns 

and summons his army.
He whispers,
“I’m sorry you will
fall in battle like the others.
Goodbye, dearest one.”

He disappears with his followers. 

I am free at last.
But I feel lost
and abandoned.
Did I want him to fight for me?
Of course not.
I would never join The Dead.
But still…   

THE DEAD GAME          

No comments:

Post a Comment