Monday, August 1, 2022

MEET ME IN MAINE – The Perfect Backdrop


It’s time for chapter two of Meet Me In Maine, book one of The Blue Harbor Series. Our heroines arrive at Blue Harbor, eager to see their new home. The town meets their expectations but with a deadly twist.

Chapter 2

After three brief stops and seven hours of driving, we rolled into Blue Harbor. Once we’d crossed into Maine, the traffic had thinned. A blanket in alternating shades of red, yellow, and green draped over the hills on either side of the open road. Instead of crowded sidewalks, traffic jams, and tall buildings, grass and groves of trees filled my vision. A salty breeze from the window swept across my face, and the tension eased from my body. Freedom smelled divine.

Scarlett said, “We’ve arrived,” sporting an eager smile on her face.

“I hope the people are friendly.” The sign on the highway welcoming us to Blue Harbor passed my window.

She glanced at me, her long brown curls lifting in the warm breeze. “I’m sure they are.”

I checked the visor mirror. Almond-shaped green eyes stared back at me as I patted my straight blonde hair in place. Stop worrying, I told myself. Everything will be fine. Martin will never find me; he won’t even miss me.

“Did you say something?” 

“Nope.” I folded the visor, reaching for the map spread open between us. “Do you need directions to the apartment?”

“I memorized the street map.” She threw me a saucy wink.

After exiting the highway, Scarlett followed the road past sculpted lawns and well-maintained homes painted in vibrant colors, the quiet streets turning busier once the harbor came into view.

“I bet the town was more congested during the Labor Day weekend.” I stared through the window at the people strolling the sidewalks, smiling as they greeted one another. Two men, sitting on rocking chairs on the front porch of a barbershop, nodded hello to us. Hope blossomed in my heart as I smiled back at them. 

“I heard Blue Harbor was a madhouse of tourists last weekend.” Scarlett changed lanes to pass the double-parked cars. Beyond the colorful shops, turquoise water shimmered beneath a cloudless sky as boats of various sizes coasted along on its choppy swells. She turned a corner, slowing the car to check the addresses before parking in front of a red-shingled, two-story house. “We’re here.”

As we stretched our legs on the sidewalk, a white puppy ambled toward me and sniffed my leg. He nuzzled my hand with a wet nose when I bent to pat his head. “Hi, boy. You’re adorable.”

“He’s a girl, but she is adorable,” a deep voice replied. “Her name is Stella.”

I raised my face to light-blue eyes. The sandy-haired man grinned and extended his hand. “Hi, I’m David Hunt.”

I straightened and took his hand. “I’m Elizabeth Reading.”

Scarlett cleared her throat. “Don’t forget me.” She pointed to herself. “Scarlett Harding.”

His gaze glued to mine, he asked, “Are you moving into the rental?”

“Yes.” Not able to meet his direct stare, I shifted my focus to his cleft chin and chiseled cheekbones. “How did you know?” 

“The rent sign and the fact you have luggage stored in your car.” He nodded to the backseat.

“That’s right, Sherlock.” Scarlett pushed past me. “Hi.” She eyed David with a mischievous grin. “We’re moving in today.”

“Let me help you.” David handed the leash to me before rushing to open the car door and unloading the bags to the sidewalk.

“We have more luggage in the trunk.” Scarlett sauntered to the front steps. “I’ll find the owner.”

“Where are you from?” he asked, piling bags in his arms.

“New York City.” I crouched beside the puppy, who licked my hand.

After depositing the baggage on the porch, David descended the steps and hunched beside me. “I see you’re a dog-lover. Is your friend a dog-lover? Maybe she can babysit.”

“Babysit?” I swallowed. “Do you have children?”

“No.” A chuckle rumbled deep in his throat. “I’m not married.” He straightened to his full height, between 6’ 2’’ or 6’ 3’’, revealing broad shoulders, a narrow waist, and sculpted muscles beneath his white T-shirt. “We’ll need a babysitter for Stella if I take you to dinner.” A shy smile appeared between an enticing set of dimples. 

“You’re taking me to dinner?” One last pat on the puppy’s head, and I rose to my feet. “Are you asking me or telling me?” I refused to date another aggressive man.

“Asking. I’m not usually so forward.” He cleared his throat. “Is tomorrow evening too soon?” His blue eyes twinkling, David shifted closer, letting his fingers graze my cheek. “I must work on my technique… I’m rusty.” He dropped his hand to his side. “I should have waited to ask you.”

“That’s okay,” I replied. “Are you divorced?” He seemed sweet, but there had to be something wrong with him: no one was as perfect as they appeared.

He stepped back. “No. I’ve been busy with my practice.” He stared into the distance. “My last relationship ended a few years ago.”

“Are you a doctor?”

“No. A lawyer.” His attention drifted back to me. “Why are you smiling?”

“I’ve just ended a relationship with a bossy doctor.” I wiped sweaty palms on my jeans. “I’ve sworn off doctors.”

“Then I’m happy I didn’t attend medical school.” He grinned. “My parents… both doctors… were eager for me to follow in their hallowed footsteps.”

“Do you enjoy the law?”

He smiled, dimples emerging again. “Yes, I do.”

Scarlett called my name from inside the brownstone. 

As I headed to the front steps, David whispered in my ear, “Is that a yes for dinner?”

Am I ready for a date, or is it too soon? I turned to him, hesitating before nodding.

A grin crossed his face as he climbed the stairs and hurried to open the door for me. “That was the answer I was hoping for.”

When we stepped into the narrow hallway, David nodded to the door standing open to our right. “That’s the owner’s apartment.”

Scarlett strolled through the open doorway with a tall redhead trailing behind her. “You have a spacious apartment.” Scarlett turned her companion. “Is the rental as large?”

“All the apartments are the same size,” the redhead replied in a bored voice, but as soon as she spotted David, she became animated, batting heavy-mascaraed eyelashes at him. “David, are you visiting me?” She crossed the hall to stand at his side, sliding an eager arm around his.

“No, Bella.” He stepped back, removing his arm from hers. “I’m helping Elizabeth and Scarlett with their luggage.”

Bella glanced at me with an annoyed frown.

Scarlett grabbed my arm. “Let’s check the apartment.” As we crossed the hall, she whispered, “Bella doesn’t trust you because she sees you as competition for David. But he can’t keep his eyes from you.”

Bella’s voice took on a sugary tone behind us. “See me before you leave, David.”

“Sure, Bella,” he replied before shutting the apartment door.

Scarlett said with a chuckle, “Good riddance.”

I walked into a room flooded with sunlight from the large kitchen window straight ahead, highlighting the yellow cabinets and white granite island with a cheerful glow before settling its translucent rays across the gray suede couch and chairs. 

“Isn’t this an awesome apartment?” Scarlett asked before disappearing into the hallway to the right of the kitchen.

As Scarlett investigated the two bedrooms, we followed the narrow hallway to a small den. David joined me at the window overlooking a compact lawn. “I’m happy I walked Sally on this block today. I got a feeling.”

“A feeling?”

He grinned. “I get those.”

“What other feelings do you get?”

“Let me see.” David paused as he took my hand, his thumb rubbing the inside of my wrist. “I have a feeling you’ll enjoy the French cuisine at the restaurant I picked for tomorrow evening.”

I gave a nonchalant shrug. “Everyone likes French food.”

“They make a delicious chocolate mousse.” 

“They do?” I swallowed. “Mousse is my favorite dessert.”

“I’ll store that information for future use.” David winked before handing me the puppy’s leash. “I’ll get the luggage.”

Scarlett rushed into the den, her eyes sparkling with mischief. “Wow. David is handsome and nice. I’m happy you found him. Well, he found you.”

“Is he acting too pushy?”

“No. David likes you.” She watched me with a concerned expression. “Don’t worry, David is not Martin.”

“Okay.” I exhaled the breath I was holding. “I like him.”

She chuckled. “So does Bella.”

I frowned. Forcing Bella from my mind, I said, “We should help him with the bags.” Then I remembered Stella, who was watching me with soulful brown eyes. 

“I don’t need help,” David whispered in my ear.

I twirled to him. “You’re finished?”

“I move fast.”

I followed him to the bags piled high in the living room. “Yes, you do.”

“I believe Stella needs a walk.” He took the leash from my hand. “Can I pick you up at 8 o’clock tomorrow? I have a late client.”

“That’s perfect.”

David lifted my chin with his finger. “See you tomorrow.” He nodded to Scarlett before leading Sally through the doorway.

Scarlett pouted. “You met a cute guy right away.”

“Dumb luck?” I quirked an eyebrow.

“Lizzie, one thing you’re not is dumb.” She laughed.

“Let’s unpack, then we can order pizza.” I marched toward the bags. “Maine must have pizza places.”

“We passed a few.” Scarlett wound her long, brown curls into a ponytail with a scrunchie. “You noticed nothing but David.”

I grinned. Freedom felt divine.

No comments:

Post a Comment