Tuesday, August 9, 2022

MEET ME IN MAINE – CHAPTER THREE


This might be the chapter you’ll never forget.

Chapter Three

“I’m bone-tired.” Scarlett plopped onto the couch, crossing her ankles on the glass coffee table. “I may never move again.” She leaned forward to massage her jean-clad legs.

I settled beside her, smoothing my hand across the plush gray suede. “When you said furnished, I didn’t know you meant living in luxury.” A massive flat TV screen faced the couch and two chairs; tall brass lamps stood on the glass end tables. Polished light-wood floors wove through the rooms, leading to a sectional beige leather couch curved around a second TV in the den. “And we have king-sized beds.”

Scarlett loosened her curls from the scrunchie. “In case we have company.”

“Do you expect company?” I asked, wiggling my eyebrows.

She snickered. “You’ll be welcoming a guest before I do.”

“I intend to sleep alone.” I felt my brow furrowing. “No more live-in boyfriends.”

“We’ll see after your date tomorrow.” Scarlett grabbed the remote from an end table and flipped through the channels, the changing screen absorbing her attention. “I’m set for the evening. Oh, look, we have cable and Netflix.”

I glanced at the empty pizza box sitting open on the coffee table. “I’m still hungry.”

“You’re always hungry, but you never gain a pound.”

“Neither do you.”

“I work hard at dieting and exercising.” She pointed the remote at the TV; a black screen replaced The Hallmark Channel. “What do you want to eat?”

Ice cream.”

“Are you two years old? Do you need ice cream as a reward for unpacking?”

“Yes, I do.” I stood. “Let me grab my bag.” I hurried to my bedroom and unearthed my handbag on the floral comforter between the mounds of matching pillows. Laughter and voices drifted through the open window. I moved to the white curtains, parting them to the setting sun and glowing red sidewalks.

Scarlett strolled into the bedroom and stood beside me. “Wow. Maine sunsets are much more impressive than Manhattan ones. I’ll grab my bag and jacket.”

I stared at the enticing view. No one moved in a hurry; no cars honked. Kids rode bicycles. A group stood laughing and gesturing with their hands. I reached for a fast-forward button to quicken the speed, but there was no button: Blue Harbor moved at a slower pace than New York City.

“Here I am.” Scarlett scooted in front of me with a black Michael Kors leather jacket draped across her arm, wearing DKNY jeans and a yellow billowy blouse. She spun in a circle. “Do I look ready to paint the town red?”

I grinned back at her. “You look terrific.” I stepped back from the window, letting the sheer fabric fall from my fingers. “Everyone is moving in slow motion.” I blinked, feeling disoriented. “We’re used to rushing from one place to the next. Here, no one is in a hurry. They’re even smiling at each other.”

“We’ll adjust to the slower pace.” She eyed my skinny jeans and flowered blouse. “No need to change: you look perfect. Just grab a jacket

I headed to the hall closet, reaching for my tan leather jacket. “Do you have the keys?”

Scarlett replied, “Yup,” as she swung the front door open. 

I followed her into the hallway. 

“Now, I’m getting hungry.” She shut the door, locking it behind us. 

Bella sauntered toward us. “Hi, guys. Where are you going?”

Scarlett quirked a brow. “Out.”

“Do you need directions? I can introduce you to people.” The curvy redhead shifted to the right, blocking our path to the front door. 

“You’ll get chilly in that skimpy outfit Scarlett narrowed her eyes at her.

We have a warm spell.” Bella smoothed the pleats of the black miniskirt that hit mid-thigh.

Tired of their banter, I said, “We’re going for ice cream.”

“Great.” Bella gave a catlike grin. “Wait for me.” She dashed to her apartment.

I turned away from Scarlett’s accusing glare. “She can lead us to the nearest ice cream parlor while introducing us to people.”

“I don’t trust her.”

“Neither do I.” As the approaching footsteps neared, I whispered, “Be nice.”

Bella appeared in tight jeans and a ruffled pink blouse. “I changed.” She slung a black beaded bag across her shoulder. “I know the perfect place for dessert.” 

“Do we need a car?” I asked, eyeing Bella’s plunging neckline. I hoped she didn’t plan an evening chasing men.

“Nope.” Bella sashayed past us, flinging a lock of wavy red hair over her shoulder. “It’s only a block away.” We followed her as she greeted people on the sidewalk without bothering to introduce us. Men flirted with her, while women scowled as she ignored them. 

“She’s not popular with women,” I whispered to Scarlett.

“Most women understand her game plan,” Scarlett said as another man stopped to stroke Bella’s impressive ego.

“Which is?”

“Tempt as many men as she can until—” She froze.

“Until what?”

“Until she catches the one she wants.” Scarlett cleared her throat. “And she found him.”

I followed her frozen stare to the corner where Bella spoke to a tall, muscular man who wore a pinstripe gray suit and red tie to perfection. When his sharp gaze swung to us, I bit back a sigh. Gray eyes observed us from beneath hooded lids. 

In my ear, I heard Scarlett’s breathless words. “First, David, and now, this guy. Does Maine only produce gods?”

“And Bella knows them.”

“Introduce me to your friends.” The dark-haired Adonis strolled toward us, extending his hand. “Pleased to meet you. I’m Logan Rayne.”

Scarlett moved closer, taking his hand. “Scarlett Harding.” 

“Elizabeth Reading,” I said as silvery-gray eyes met mine.

Bella emerged from behind Logan, linking her arm through his. “Will you join us for a bite to eat?”

“I’m sorry,” Logan replied, his heated stare capturing mine. “I have a late meeting.”

“Then we’ll expect a rain check.” Bella batted her impressive eyelashes. “This weekend will be fine.”

“I’m free Saturday night. Are you?”

I gulped; he was watching me. “We’re free since we just arrived today.”

“Good.” Logan stepped back, relinquishing Bella’s grasp on his arm. “Dinner?”

Bella sighed. “We’ll be ready at, let’s say, 9 o’clock.” She arched a red eyebrow at him.

“Did you move into Bella’s building?” he asked, his attention returning to me.

I nodded.

“I’ll see you then.” A smile flashed across his face before he strode to the navy-blue Mercedes parked at the curb. He folded his long legs into the two-seater, then nodded to us before easing the sporty vehicle into traffic. 

“What are you? A man-magnet?” Her hands clenched at her sides, Bella stood at the corner, glowering at me, bright spots of red on her pale cheeks. 

“I thought that was your job,” Scarlett said with an evil chuckle.

“Ha, ha.” Bella gave a “humph” before rounding the corner.

“Logan was asking us, wasn’t he?” I asked with a slight squeak.

“He was gawking at you.”

“No way.” I gulped. “No one looks at me while you’re standing beside me.”

“Yeah, right.” Scarlett shook her head, muttering something to herself.

We turned the corner to the busy avenue, where colorful stores faced the harbor, but Bella was nowhere in sight. Beneath the orangey-yellow glow of the setting sun, the docked boats swayed in place on the waves. A soft breeze brushed through my hair. The mellow early evening sounds lulled my senses until a high-pitched shriek broke the spell.

“Why didn’t you follow me?” Bella marched toward us, waving her arms.

“We lost you.” Scarlett spun to her.

“How could you lose me? I didn’t even cross the street.” Bella’s pale face reddened. “Unless you were trying to lose me.”

“We reached—” Scarlett glanced at the street sign. “Harbor Drive, and we didn’t see you.”

“Fine.” Bella pointed to the pink sign, Le Ice Cream Parlor, hanging between two 3D hot-pink ice cream cones on a white shingled building. “We’re here.”

We stepped into the pink. An extended counter spanned the left wall, fronted with hot-pink stools, light-pink booths lined the right and back walls, and white wrought-iron tables and chairs filled the middle. “Cute,” I said. The sweet aroma of ice cream, chocolate fudge, and cotton candy wafted my nose. My mouth watered. I smelled peanut butter and strawberries and didn’t know what else. “An ice cream heaven.”

Bella took a pink stool at the counter. “Hi, Eric. Can I have a banana split?”

“Sure thing, Bella.” The gangly teenager scooped ice cream into a banana-shaped glass dish, a toothy grin on his pimpled face.

“What can I get the young ladies?” I turned, expecting an older man. Instead, a man in his early thirties flashed his pearly whites at us. “Hi. I’m Jonathan Hale, the owner of this ice cream heaven.”

“You heard me.” My face heated as I faced the shaggy blonde, blue-eyed, surfer-looking guy. 

“Yes, I did. And thank you for the compliment.” His gaze landed on Scarlett and stayed there. I felt relief; he fit Scarlett’s unique taste.

“What do you recommend?” Scarlett asked, her voice sounding breathy. 

“I suggest the tornado.” Jonathan winked. “It has my best flavors topped with chocolate fudge, whipped cream, and a cherry.”

“We’ll share one.” Scarlett glanced at me, and I nodded.

As Jonathan retrieved a tall dish from behind the counter and began layering the decadent ice cream flavors, he asked, “Are you new to Blue Harbor?” His intense gaze met Scarlett’s through the glass dome covering the ice cream display.

“We arrived today.” Scarlett’s voice drifted as she glanced away.

He chuckled. “Then I’m happy to welcome you to Blue Harbor.”

Scarlett gave him a tremulous smile. “Thank you.”

“Take a seat at a booth, and I’ll bring my special concoction to you.”

Scarlett took my hand, dragging me across the room to a corner booth.

“Wow,” I whispered. “You must be in love. I’ve never seen you act timid. And shy. You’re never shy.”

She turned to me with a scowl, her mouth opening, ready to defend herself before her attention shifted to the front door.

The door flung open, hitting the wall beside it with a loud bang. A hush fell across the room. 

Startled faces turned to the doorway.

A tall, thin man hurried inside, clutching his throat, his gaze darting around the room. “They’re back,” he whispered before collapsing to the floor, blood spurting from his neck and pooling around his body.

No comments:

Post a Comment