Wednesday, August 31, 2022

ARE YOU READY FOR THE NEXT CHAPTER?


Chapter 4

A bleeding man. Fleeing customers. This isn’t what our heroines expected in Blue Harbor, Maine.

Screaming customers shoved past us, stepping over the bleeding man and rushing from the shop. Soon, the store was empty except for Jonathan, Eric, and us. Bella sat frozen on a stool, her hazel eyes round as saucers. Scarlett backed away until her back hit a pink booth. I shivered as I watched the blood spread around the body and across the white-tiled floor.

Jonathan jumped over the counter and raced to the young man dying on his floor. He yelled over his shoulder, “Call an ambulance.” 

“I will.” Bella fumbled with her handbag. “What should I tell the police?”

“He’s bleeding to death,” Scarlett said, her face white from shock.

“They cut his throat.” Jonathan came to his feet, staring at his bloody hands. “It’s too late.”

“They?” I asked with a squeak.

“I called the police,” Bella said.

Jonathan withdrew a cloth from behind the counter and wiped his hands. With a grim expression, he turned to us. “You can leave; I’ll answer the police’s questions.” He looked at Eric, who stood beside the counter, his skinny body quivering. “You too.”

“The man said ‘they’re back.’” I faced Jonathan. “Who are they?”

Icy blue eyes glared into mine. “I don’t know.” Jonathan averted his face, rubbing at his red-stained hands with the blood-soaked cloth.

“Let’s go.” Bella grabbed my arm. “We’ll get in the way.”

I followed Bella and Scarlett from the shop. The sun had set, leaving behind dark and deserted streets. I didn’t hear any sounds until a stretcher and officers rushed past us. Then the wail of sirens and shouts of police bombarded my eardrums, a veil lifting to show the ugly truth.

“Move, lady,” an officer yelled in my ear.

Scarlett yanked my arm, pulling me across the street. Bella joined us as we watched the paramedics and police swarm into the pink parlor, a white van labeled The Coroner’s Office pulling in front. A man ran into the store with a black bag clutched in his hand. Once the sirens quieted, people emerged on the streets, but no one dared to approach Jonathan’s shop. 

“Look.” Scarlett pointed at David, who rounded the corner and strode to the parlor. He opened the door and hurried into the shop. “What is he doing here?”

“He works with the police,” Bella replied.

“But he’s a lawyer.” I gaped at Bella. 

She shrugged. “A smart lawyer who knows how to fight crime. As an ex-marine, he’s handy with a firearm.”

“Oh, no.” Scarlett touched my arm.

I followed her gaze to the tall man opening the shop’s hot-pink door. “Don’t tell me Logan also works for the police.” I frowned at Bella.

“Okay, I won’t tell you.”

“Spill it.” Scarlett grabbed Bella’s arm.

Bella shrugged Scarlett’s hand from her arm. “Logan owns an investment firm, but he helps the police on occasion.”

“No way.” Scarlett shook her head. “Is he an ex-marine like David?”

She averted her face. “Logan wasn’t a marine but a Navy Seal.”

Scarlett shot me a look, and we kept silent.

The pink door opened. Two police officers carried a stretcher, the body covered by a sheet, and loaded it into the coroner’s van. A heavy-set man, wearing a blue uniform, stepped from the doorway, scowling at the people crowding the sidewalks. 

“The chief of police,” Bella said. “Ryan Lively.”

“He’s focusing his beady eyes on us.” Scarlett stepped back from the curb. “We should head home.”

“I agree.” Bella shivered. “He gives me the creeps.”

The police chief marched across the street. 

“Too late,” Scarlett whispered. 

The chief halted a few feet from us, his short, stocky body blocking our escape. “Hello, Bella Fox. We meet again.”

I turned to Bella, who stood frozen like a deer caught in headlights.

“And who are you?” Black eyes stared at us from a beefy face. 

“I’m Elizabeth Reading.” I nodded at Scarlett. “This is Scarlett Harding.”

“I was told you were present at the scene.”

“We were ordering ice cream,” I replied.

“Is that so?” His thin lips curled. 

I didn’t answer. Ryan Lively didn’t appear to be a friendly, small-town cop, and I wasn’t offering information unless asked.

“What do you want from us?” Bella yielded first. “We witnessed a man bleeding to death on the floor.”

His bushy eyebrows met in a straight line. “Don’t be difficult, Bella Fox.” He swiped a hand through his short gray hair. “Not as last time.”

“Last time?” Scarlett asked before clamping her mouth shut at the chief’s scowl.

“There’s always trouble in Blue Harbor,” Bella replied.

“Keep your opinions to yourself.” Lively swung his back to Bella, turning his attention to us. “Join me at the scene.” He glanced over his shoulder at Bella. “You too.” The chief strode across the street, the crowd parting as we followed him into the ice cream parlor.

No comments:

Post a Comment