Monday, November 28, 2022

MEET ME IN MAINE


Lizzy gets ready for her first date with David. Is she eager? Let’s find out.

CHAPTER 7

Scarlett stepped through the front doorway, halting in surprise. “I thought you’d still be asleep.”

“Where were you?” I asked from my perch at the kitchen counter, eyeing the white paper bag clutched in her hand. “You’re never an early riser.” 

With a grin, she sauntered into the kitchen, placing the bag beside my coffee cup. “I bought muffins at a cute cafe around the corner.”

“No diet?” I asked.

“Not today.” Scarlett popped a Keurig cup into the machine, withdrawing two plates from the kitchen cabinet and settling beside me before reaching for the bag. “I’m hungry from scouting the town.”

“What?”

She set a chocolate chip muffin on a plate before sliding it toward me. “Everywhere I visited, people were discussing the explosions.” Scarlett bit into a corn muffin, her voice muffled as she continued, “No one was hurt, but plenty of boats were damaged.”

I quirked a brow.

“Ten boats burned to ashes, and many residents believed it was arson. The shipowners have insurance, but it takes time to collect; for now, they’ve lost their livelihood. The cafe owner handed around a collection to support them, and I pledged money from the both of us.” She glanced at me. “Is that okay?”

“Of course, it’s okay. The boat owners need our help.” Losing my appetite, I shoved the plate away. “Were these people shocked?”

“Nope.” She shook her head, her long ponytail bouncing around her shoulders. “A wave of violence has plagued the town for the past six months.”

“That’s strange; the residents should be more concerned their harbor exploded.”

Scarlett stopped eating and looked at me. “I don’t know the details since people are closed-mouthed, but I’ll find out.”

“Are you canceling our appointment at the bed-and-breakfast for this afternoon?” I stood and began pacing the tiny kitchen. “New York City was dangerous enough; I don’t want to move to a place where I’m afraid to walk home in the evening.”

“I’m not canceling.” Scarlett swiveled to me. 

“We can find a town with no crime wave. The coast of Maine is lined with towns offering picturesque harbors and inns to purchase.”

“No.” Scarlett scrambled to her feet, retrieving her cup from the Keurig and bringing it to the counter. “I want to live here.”

“Why?” I sat as she sipped her coffee. “Is it Jonathan?”

She peeked at me from the corner of her eye. “Yes, it’s him. Then there’s David and Logan. Blue Harbor has interesting characters.”

“Are you seeking characters for a murder mystery or a Hallmark movie?” 

Scarlett pulled a plastic knife from the paper bag and cut my rejected muffin into bite-size pieces. “I don’t want to live in a boring town.” She offered me a piece, but I shook my head. “Blue Harbor offers a unique way of life.”

“The town offers more options for dying.” 

She popped a chunk of muffin in her mouth. “Every town has crime. Once the police catch the ones responsible, the town will be peaceful again. Blue Harbor has the best shops and harbor, and I don’t want to live farther north.”

“The explosions destroyed the harbor.”

“The planks are being replaced as we speak.” Scarlett gave me a pleading look. “Blue Harbor has other piers.”

“Okay. We’ll keep the appointment.” I took a sip of coffee.

“What will you wear on your date with David tonight?” 

“I forgot.” My head pounded. How did I forget?

“Don’t tell me you forgot a date with a gorgeous man.”

“I’ve been trying to forget yesterday; the bleeding man, burning boats, and chilling screams gave me nightmares.”

“Are you keeping the date?” She gawked at me. “No way are you canceling it.”

“I’m going.” I shrugged. “But I don’t need a man to feel whole; I can find happiness without being half of a couple.”

“You can still date and have fun.” Scarlett winked. “You remember how to have fun, right?”

I turned my face to the window where white puffy clouds coasted along the blue horizon. “It’s been a long time.”

“One date doesn’t have to lead to another.” Her expression becoming somber, she added, “I’m not looking for a commitment either.”

I nodded.

“You can’t help men falling for you; you’re blessed with blonde hair and green eyes.” Scarlett tossed her ponytail. “While I sport a frizzy mop of brown with boring brown eyes.”

“Nothing about you is boring.” I laughed. “And you have no problem finding men.”

“But I’m always one step behind you.”

“And I picked Martin.” I stared at the shredded napkin clasped in my hand.

“Forget Martin; he’s history.” She took my hand, peeling pieces of napkins from between my fingers. “Turn your thoughts to David, tall, dark, and handsome.”

“He has those Nordic blue eyes.” I gave a soft sigh.

“Nordic blue?” Scarlett chuckled. “Is that a color?”

“Yes.” I wrinkled my nose. “I found it on Google.” A side glance at her confirmed my suspicions; she sat there grinning like a cat who consumed a bowl of cream. “When is Jonathan taking you on a date? Tonight?”

“Yup.” She slid from the stool. “I’m excited; he’s taking me to a new restaurant on a pier.”

“Nice.” I swallowed. “A pier that didn’t burn?”

“Blue Harbor has many piers.” Scarlett shook a finger at me. “Remember, happy thoughts.”

I planted a smile on my face.

Scarlett gave me a smirk before continuing, “I checked the restaurant online, and it’s fancy.” She leaned her hip against the counter. “Should I wear my strapless red dress?”

“Perfect choice.” I grinned. “You’ll catch the big fish.”

She laughed. “I won’t tell Jonathan you called him a big fish.” Scarlett tilted her head to the side. “What will you wear?”

“I have my little black dress.”

“With an emphasis on little.” With a snicker, she added, “Perfect.” 

I got to my feet and began rinsing the dishes. “Who gets Logan?” I turned to her.

She canted her head to the side.

“If I pick David, and you choose Jonathan, who gets Logan?”

“Can he be the spare?” She clapped her hands together in delight.

A giggle slipped from my mouth. “You’re kidding, right?”

“Men refer to women as spares, so why can’t I?” 

“As long as they don’t hear it.”

“I’m sealing my lips,” Scarlett replied, running an imaginary zipper across her lips.

No comments:

Post a Comment