Sunday, November 1, 2015

THE DEAD GAME --- THE LAST GAME TO BE PLAYED



A party not to be missed.
A masquerade ball for the elite.
A secret party for the rich and famous.
A time to make or break alliances.

A tall woman stares at me.
Her face hidden by a long beak.
Her hair a luscious red.
Could be real or not.

All of this could be an illusion.
Set to confuse my mind.
I won't be side-tracked by all the beauty.
I'm here to locate the elusive host.

The first party took two of our own.
I won't allow it a second time.
I will trust no one.
Not even that beautiful woman.

Where is Linda?
She's supposed to be at my side.
She has joined the other residents.
Shana is standing by her side.
I will leave them be.

"Hello Todd,"
A voice murmurs in my ear.
I recognize the deep voice.
"Hello Hayden. What do you want?"
I have no time for him or Wolf.

"Wolf would like to speak with you."
Hayden gives a hint of a smile.
"Talk with me or kill me?
I might find time later."
I quickly walk away.

The music rocks and rumbles
In tune with the throbbing bodies.
All intent on keeping up to the beat,
Keeping abreast of each other.
A creature who loses sight of what's important
Becomes fodder for the history books.

Hard partying and playing brings results.
New acquaintances, new alliances.
The lifeblood of the paranormal.
Keep silent, listen, and absorb.
And never fall behind.

I must speak with Wolf.
I can't delay the inevitable.
I must know what he is planning.
I must be prepared.
I like playing the game like all the others.
I just play it better.

Linda is gone again.
She is in the garden with the two demons.
She mustn't be alone with Wolf and Hayden,
For they have turned many a pretty head.
I can't see them anymore.

There they are behind the rose bushes,
Behind the fountain of a mermaid shedding tears.
The garden is too quiet.
Linda is backing away in fear.
Time to intervene and put an end to the charade.

Wolf is downed by my blow.

Linda is staring at me in horror.
It must be my eyes.
They must have turned yellow during the attack.
I can't let her think I'm a creature like the rest of them.

"Linda, don't be afraid of me.
It's still me."
I walk to her.
She moves away.
I won't rush her.

Too many things to explain to her.
Too many choices for her to make.
She needs time.
And she needs to trust me.
Time will tell all.

Now I must deal with Wolf and Hayden
To the death if I must.
They need to be destroyed.
The last battle to the death.

The Last Game To Be Played.

THE DEAD GAME



No comments:

Post a Comment